root and read-only files

When I edit a file as a normal user and this file has no write permission,
jed makes this buffer readonly. Good behaviour.

But when I edit as root a file with no write permission, jed opens this
file in read-write mode without any warning.

In contrast, vi gives a warning message on opening:
W10: Warning: Changing a readonly file

and on saving:
E45: 'readonly' option is set (add ! to override)

I would like to have a similar behaviour for jed, too.

Rationale: when there is a file without write permission even for root,
then this has a reason. For example: RCS marks files onder its control in
this way, because these files should not be edited without beeing checked
out. Of course, root can change this permission setting, but at least the
user is warned by the editor and has to THINK.

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server- und Arbeitsplatzsysteme
Rechenzentrum                  E-Mail: horlacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx