Re: mailedit and mail_mode

Duke <dukeofperl@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> define mail_hook ()
>{
>    mailedit_mode ();
>    local_setkey ("mail_send", "^C^C");
>    local_setkey ("mail_kill_buffer", "^Xk");
>    local_setkey ("mailalias_expand", "^C^E");
>}
>
> and
>
> autoload("mail_mode","mail_mode");
>
> If I use Jed as my MUA, I see (mailedit) in the status line. I never
> see anything about mail_mode.

This is because you used mailedit_mode in your mail_hook.  If you want
mail_mode, you will have to add it but you cannot have both-- choose
one or the other.

> It I use Pine as my MUA and use Jed as the external editor with:
>
> Editor = jed -tmp -f mail_mode
>
> Jed comes up OK, but all I see in the status line is (Text). Is that
> correct behavior? How do I know that mail_mode is actually "in play"?

I know nothing about Pine, but my guess is that pine is invoking jed
using:

   jed -tmp -f mail_mode FILENAME

What you really want is:

   jed FILENAME -tmp -f mail_mode

If so, you might want to try a shell script to invoke jed:

   Editor = jed-mailmode.sh

Here jed-mailmode.sh would look something like:

  #!/bin/sh
  exec jed $1 -tmp -f mail_mode