Re: Jed "vs." Wing

On 11.12.08, Peter Bengtsson wrote:
> Jed people might find this interesting
> http://www.peterbe.com/plog/wing-ide-versus-jed

1st question: Do you use the "stock" pymode.sl, or the extended version
from jedmodes?

> I've been using Jed now for several years on Linux. It's an "Emacs
> clone" in that almost the same key bindings you have in Emacs work in
> Jed.

I have problems with the description of Jed as an Emacs clone, as this
will turn off people that dislike the Emacs keybindings. While many
concepts are modeled after Emacs, the keybindings are configurable. I am
using Jed with the CUA emulation which results in more consistent
keybindings across the set of daily-used applications.

> WING IDE
> Pros

> * Intelligent indentation works much better for things like multi line
>   parameter lists.

The jedmodes version does a lot to improve automatic indentation (there
is room for improvement, though).

> * A 80 character red line in the background helps avoiding writing
>   lines longer than 80 characters.

You could just set the Jed window width to 80 or turn on word wrap.

I do this with http://jedmodes.sf.net/mode/grep/

> JED

> Cons

> * No integration at all with pylint or pychecker

You can run any command on the buffer or filter the buffer (or region)
through an externa command with jed. (I use ishell mode from jedmodes
for this.) Are there some more or special needs?

> * No vertical split screen. Something Jed "failed" to copy from Emacs.

Actually, something that evolved in Emacs later.

> * Syntax highlighting in doctests is either one big string or Python
>   that doesn't indent well.

??? (Syntax highlighting that does not indent?)

> * Doesn't understand Python sys.path and generating ctags files is
>   something you have to do yourself.

... but can be automated (if you know S-Lang).

> * Doesn't remember which buffers you had open or where in the files you
>   were since it doesn't have the concept of a project file like Wing
>   has.

http://jedmodes.sf.net/mode/recent offers restoring a session. It also
has a concept of "local recent filelist", where you save the session
data in the projects base dir and Jed will restore this session if it
is called from this dir.

> * When executing a buffer the cursor is placed at the very end of the
>   buffer when you switch back from the output screen.

This could be easily fixed.

> I wish God would read this blog entry and get John E. Davis and
> Wingware to magically include all my "feature requests" so that each
> others cons are replaced by each others pros.

The nice thing with Jed is that you do not need to wait for external
help but can easily implement (most of) required features in its
extension language S-Lang.

I can't promise to include all the requests, but am interested in ideas
and feedback for the Jedmodes pymode.