Re: redirecting rgrep output

frank <ls199mp1505@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I failed repeatedly getting the output of
> jed's rgrep into a disk file. I issue from jed
> a shell command like
>
>      rgrep -l 'any' * > g_result.tmp
>
> but the output goes to the shell-output buffer,
> not to the specified disk file.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Are you running this on windows?  On windows, the only shell that is
universally available to interpret the command is is cmd.exe.  It gets
invoked via

   cmd.exe /c rgrep -l 'any' * > g_result.tmp

This is analogous to the Unix version, which is

   sh -c rgrep -l 'any' * > g_result.tmp

I believe that while `sh` understands the redirection operator,
`cmd.exe` does not when used this way.  You can test this hypothesis by
running the shell command

    echo rgrep -l 'any' * > g_result.tmp

If "rgrep -l 'any' * > g_result.tmp" appears in the buffer, then that
is the problem.

If my suspicions are correct, then the only way to solve this is to
modify jed's w32shell.c (which is needed to invoke cmd.exe) to parse
the command line and handle the "> g_result.tmp" bit.