RE: How do I set up a template?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Olesen, Mark wrote:

Oh, but then you're on the list! Had I known, I wouldn't have searched those other addresses of yours. Incidentally, I'm answering the mail you sent me this morning, only... not now, since I don't have much time, honestly!

Specifically, and for example, I want a given template to be inserted
in my buffer rather than it staying blank when I open a non
exististing *.pl file.

I would normally avoid that type of automatic operation and use an
explicit command instead.

I understand your approach, and your preference, but I'd really prefer the insertion to be automatic, based on the principle that it's much easier to have something and then delete or comment it than having to insert it manually. And basically ALL of my Perl (but not only!) programs begin in the same way.

Also, rather than specifying the template ad hoc with C-like strings, I would use an actual file: after all I'm a Perl programmer, not a S-Lang one...

Thus in my ~/.jed hierarchy I would like to hold a template subdir with templates for various languages. Either that or not a subdir but suitably named files: most probably template.* ones.

Eventually, I presume a templates.sl mode could handle the whole thing, but of course I don't have the slightest idea of how should it interface with the various language specific modes. (E.g. should they call it, or should it call them?)

Michele
--
$\=q.,.,$_=q.print'  ,\g,,( w,a'c'e'h,,map{$_-=qif/g/;chr
}107..q[..117,q)[map+hex,split//,join' ,2B,, w$ECDF078D3'