How do I set up a template?

Now that I have a *working* jed... ;) (Actually I have several, now!) How do I set up templates for languages specific files? I have hooks set up for some extensions, but is this a thing to be handled by the language's specific mode or, as it seems more reasonable, orthogonally wrt them?

Specifically, and for example, I want a given template to be inserted in my buffer rather than it staying blank when I open a non exististing *.pl file.

Michele
--
Your father decided he'd rather come
home in a taxi.  Or a police car.