Re: Problem with ` character, needs two presses

On  8.09.08, John E. Davis wrote:
> Emmet Spier <emmet@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On every system I have used jed I find that to insert a ` character I
> > need to press ` twice. This is a real problem when editing shell
> > scripts.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to disable this double press requirement?

> The default binding of ` is to the "quoted_insert" function, which
> allows control characters, etc to be entered.  To rebind it, use:

>   define keybindings_hook (emulation)
>   {
>      setkey ("self_insert_cmd", "`");
>   }

In most cases, (as long as it is after loading an emulation (as "cua.sl"
or "emcs.sl") it will suffice to write

   setkey ("self_insert_cmd", "`");

. I use:

% quoted insert: I need ` more than <degree-sign>
setkey("self_insert_cmd", "`");
if (_slang_utf8_ok)
   setkey("quoted_insert", "°");
else