_slang_utf8_ok

When jed is running in UTF-8 mode, a query for _slang_utf8_ok returns 1.
I exit jed, run unicode_stop (as root, otherwise
impossible), restart jed. The menu lines are in
a shamble but a query for _slang_utf8_ok returns
1 as before. Does not look right, does it?
Additionally: text with plenty of non-ASCII chars
is messed up. I do not mean single chars showing up
as junk, I mean the display is a mess and the cursor
does not know where to go. Thanks

Frank