Making compile mode smarter?

Does anybody have any handy snippets for making compile mode smarter?

I'm mainly interested in having it:
1) Automatically determine the default compiler warning/error matching
pattern to use based on the OS.
2) Dynamically pick the compiler warning/error matching pattern for mixed
compilation (say C/C++ and Java).
3) Maybe even having it use one of multiple regular expressions to look
for warning messages?

These days I constantly find myself bouncing back and forth between
systems (using the same NFS mounted home directory), as well as GCC/G++
and native compilers, and generally compiling both C++ and Java code in
the same build.

It'd be easy enough to add a little menu hack to manually select the
compiler type, but I'd like to avoid reinventing the wheel if someone has
an existing solution.