Re: problem with non ascii chars in xjed on kubuntu 7.10

On 30.11.07, Joachim Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,

> I am using xjed 0.99.18U on kubuntu 7.10. for editing for example python
> source code. Whenever I enter an umlaut-char like 'ü', I get <C3><BC>,
> which is, I assume the utf8 representation of 'ü'. What settings do I have
> to change to get 'ü' in the source.

This is most probably due to DFA syntax highlighting not supporting UTF-8.

You can enable/disable this on a per-mode basis with
disable_dfa_syntax_for_mode() and enable_dfa_syntax_for_mode()

%  This function may be used to enable|disable the use of DFA syntax highlighting
%  for one or more specified modes.  Each of the String_Type arguments must
%  be the name of a mode.  The name of a buffer's mode is usually displayed on
%  the status line.

As these functions are often used inside the mode definition, you should
overwrite the setting in a mode hook, e.g.

%  * Set the syntax highlight scheme
%
%    Syntax highlight could use either a DFA syntax highlight scheme or the
%    "traditional" one. Advantages are:
%
%    traditional: highlights muliti-line string literals (if enclosed in """)
%
%    dfa: highlights some syntax errors (e.g. invalid number formats,
%    	  mix of Spaces and Tab in code indention, or quote with trailing
%    	  whitespace at eol)
%#v+
%        define python_mode_hook() {
% 	    if (_slang_utf8_ok)  % DFA is broken in UTF-8 mode
%              disable_dfa_syntax_for_mode("python");
%           else
%              enable_dfa_syntax_for_mode("python");
%           % more customization...
%#v-

I hope this helps

Guenter