Re: Non-ascii chars in UTF-8 mode not bindable

On  1.06.07, John E. Davis wrote:

> There is really no mystery to what is happening.  The fact is that the
> keymap routines use byte-semantics.

Thanks John for the explanations

I still wonder, why in UTF-8 mode

 setkey(" °", "°");

works while

 setkey("self_insert_cmd", "°");

does insert <B0>.

> At some point, I will integrate the work-around that I posted into the
> setkey functions.

I am looking forward to this.

> I posted the slang version to give others an immediate solution to the
> problem, although I suspect only a few will ever run into this issue.

I have a use case for such a non-ASCII binding that is currently
non-urgent only because I still use latin-1 encoding for most of my work:

 The backtick '`' is heavily used for markup in reStructured Text and
 hence I was looking for a different key to bind to "quoted_insert".

 As it should be both, easy accessible and seldom used, I came up with
 the degree sign '°' (the paragraph sign '§' would be an alternative
 but it's non-ASCII as well).
 So my jed.rc has

  setkey("self_insert_cmd", "`");
  setkey("quoted_insert", "°");