Problem starting jed (syntax error)

Hi!
I just upgtaded to jed-0.99-18 and libslang-1.4.9 and what I found when
starting jed is that it did not go to emacs mode as it is set by default.
Instead it showed

S-lang Error: Syntax Error: Expecting directive token. Found 0x20

in the modeline. It seems there is some syntax error in either any of the
configuration files or in some sl code. Can anyone explain how to pinpoint
where it is? Or may be you have seen this already and can tell where the
error is.

Thanks in advance,

--
Sergei