Re: Customizing ctags Behaviour

Hagemann, Robert <rhagemann@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>1. The patch uses get_blocal_var with two arguments.
>According to the documentation,
>get_blocal_var expects only one variable.

The documentation needs to be updated as noted previously by another
email.

>2. (Not in the patch itself):
>The suggested c_mode_hook shuffles the arguments for set_blocal_var.
>Anyways, in our environment, the tags-file is the same
>for several programming languages,
>so IMHO, a mode dependent setting is not the way to go,
>I'd rather use the startup script
>for the tags file location and the Word-Chars setting in
>the mode definition itself.

If you want to use the same file and word-definition for all buffers,
then you can use a global mode hook:

   define global_mode_hook (mode)
   {
      define_blocal_var ("Word_Chars", "-A-Za-z0-9_");
      define_blocal_var ("Tags_File", "/path/to/tags/file");
   }

If you want to do this on a buffer-by-buffer basis, then you will have
to add the appropriate if-statements to the above hook.  Also, if the
use of "Word_Chars" is too limiting, then it may be necessary to
modify ctags.sl to a ctags-specific version of word characters.

Thanks for the feedback.