Re: Looking for Python programmers for testing.

Hello G.,

"G. Milde" <g.milde@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On  7.09.06, Jörg Sommer wrote:
>
>> this patch tries to address the problem that python forbids mixing up
>> spaces and tabs as indention characters. It should select the right
>> character for each file. Please test it and report all problems and
>> success.
>
>> -   if (Py_Indent_Level == 8)
>
> use Tabs, else use Spaces.

The old version set TAB to zero if Py_Indent_Level != 8. If you open a
file with tabs then, I see tons of ^I at the begin of line. That was my
problem. Mangling the variable TAB is not a good idea.

> The proposed patch continues to mix these two (to keep consistency?)

No.

>> +   set_blocal_var(Py_Indent_Level == TAB, "py_use_tab");

This is the default if no indented line is in the file, e.g. an empty
file. Otherwise the type of indention in the file overwrites this setting.

> My suggestion would be a separation of these two settings by introducing a
>
> with the three possible settings:
>
>   -1   guess from file
>    0   never use Tabs
>    1   always use Tabs

IMO the only correct setting is -1. All other settings lead to
tab‐space‐mixture.

> The default would depend on the global variable USE_TABS, assuming that if a
> user sets USE_TABS = 0 in his/her jed.rc, tabs should not be used in pymode
> either.

No, excacly this was my problem. I've set USE_TABS = 0 and opened a file
with tabs. I've got a mixture of tabs and spaces; ugly.

> The Tab-detecting in the proposed patch makes sure it only looks for
> code-indenting but skips other places (strings, comments).
>
> However, it favours Tabs in the case of an unconsistent file:
> one single Tab will turn "py_use_tab" on.

Sorry, but anywhere you must make a break. Don't try to be more
intelligent then the user. Inconsistent cases must be fixed by the user.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Je planmäßiger ein Mensch vorgeht,
desto stärker mag ihn der Zufall treffen.