Problem in open_process after system upgrade

My ISP recently upgraded their equipment and software.

Now, when I try to use ispell in Jed, my telnet session freezes.
I inserted debugging statements (read_mini()) in the ispell code,
and it seems that it is freezing in the Jed built-in function
open_process().

Are there any requirements that could cause open_process() to fail?

Is there anything I can tell my ISP to check into?  Is there
any other testing that I could do?

I checked, and ispell is installed on this machine.

At this account, Jed 0.99.16 is installed.  When I type "uname -a",
I see:

    503[rexx ~] uname -a
    FreeBSD cutter.rexx.com 6.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE #1: Wed Aug
    2 12:04:58 PDT 2006
    operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/CUTTER  i386

--
Dave Kuhlman