Pressing Ctr-Z within jed

Hello

I use jed every day for extended periods of time. I
have noticed that I have become used never to press
Control-Z to pause jed and temporarily use some other
app in that virtual terminal. The reason is that doing

so consistently "hangs" the terminal: I am returned to
the VT in its state before jed was invoked, but with
the cursor placed on the line immediately after the
invocation of jed. I can type things into the
terminal, but the shell does not seem to get them: the
terminal just echoes whatever I type.

This happens both in an xterm as well as in "console"
virtual terminals (ie, outside of X).

Pressing Ctr-C or Ctr-Z does not change anything; I
have tried sending
jed all sorts of signals from another VT and only
-SIGKILL does the
trick. And if I send it a KILL signal something
strange happens: the shell
then receives, in "batch", everything I had typed into
the terminal
between the moment I paused jed and sent it the KILL
signal.

Another thing I have noticed is: the first time I
pause jed in a given terminal the behavior I just
described occurs. If I then -KILL it, any other calls
to jed in that terminal can be paused without any
problems.

Does anyone know what this might be due to?

jed --version
jed version: 0.99.18/Unix
 Compiled with GNU C 3.3
S-Lang version: 2.0.5

jed compile-time options:
 +LINE_ATTRIBUTES +BUFFER_LOCAL_VARS +SAVE_NARROW
+TTY_MENUS
 +EMACS_LOCKING +MULTICLICK +SUBPROCESSES +DFA_SYNTAX
+ABBREVS
 +COLOR_COLUMNS +LINE_MARKS -GPM_MOUSE +IMPORT

Using JED_ROOT=/usr/local/jed

Thanks in advance!

Juergen