Re: looking for a more emacs-like dired mode

On  6.06.06, Ron Kaminsky wrote:

> I've looked around but haven't found a more emacs-like dired mode.

Maybe my proposel is completely in the wrong direction, as it is (IMO) less
emacs-like than the standard dired mode, but I think the filelist mode
  http://jedmodes.sourceforge.net/mode/filelist/
might contain at least some of the things you ask for.

> The important things I'd like are:

> the ability to have multiple buffers in dired mode;

If you mean several buffers for several directories: its possible with
filelist.

> the ability to set my own switches for "ls"

Currently the "ls" command can be set as an optional parameter to the
filelist_list_dir() function. Work needs to be done to make the
recognition of the filename robust so that working with files works
also in the case the filename is not in the first position of the
listing.

The default uses the intrinsic listdir() function and only lists the
filenames.

> switch between sorting alphabetically and by modification date;

Currently not implemented but should be possible.

> and more ways to use flagged files other than renaming and deleting,
> such as copying and running shell commands.

This is implemented ("open" (with default app), "open with" (asks for
app in the minibuffer), "grep", "tar", "copy", "rename/move", "make
directory", "edit" (open in Jed), "view" (in Jed, readonly))

> It's important to me to have the same display format as dired mode;

The display format is different and tries to come close to the Midnight
commander (color-bar for tagged files).

> I especially don't want to lose a line of the display with an
> in-buffer mode line.

Yep.

> P.S. I'm running version B0.99.17-111/Unix but am open to moving to
> a development version if it will solve this problem.

Actuall, 0.99.17 is a development version, the new 0.99.18 is
considered stable.

Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de