Re: Preselect info node

Jörg Sommer <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>is it somehow possible to tell the info mode which node it should select
>if it is called from the current buffer? I search a way to tell info to
>jump to the latex node if it is started from a latex file. I think of a
>buffer local variable. Does such one exist?

Nothing exists but it is an interesting idea and something that can
be looked into for 0.99-19.

Currently info_mode makes a call (via info_find_dir) to
info_find_node("(DIR)top").  This could be changed to go to a node
specified by a buffer or mode local variable.

I think that info-mode should be enhanced to support multiple
instances if such a change is made.  For example, suppose you are
editing a .tex file and you are looking at the latex info
documentation.  In another buffer, you might want to look at an info
file specified by its mode, without affecting the position in the
latex info file.  Having multiple instances of info buffers would
facilitate this.  Adding such support might be straighforward.  info.sl
contains a few global variables that would have to be dealt with.  One
way would be to make these variables buffer-local and attach them to
the info buffer itself.