Jed under Cygwin/WinXP

Greetings.  I'm trying to build slang/jed under Cygwin/WindowsXP (Pro,
SP2 if it matters).

Mostly, everthing builds just fine (modulo a minor link issue in slang
- I've posted that to the slang-users already) - I use the standard
configure/make/make install from the unix build directions.

However, when I try and run jed, I see some strange problems.

I have HOME env variable pointing to the Cygwin path to my home dir
(U: drive -- /u under Cygwin).  This is a remote share, but I've not
had any problems with this, before I tried using slang/jed.

Anyway, if I cd to my home directory, and try and jed .jedrc, it acts
like I didn't provide it with a filename on the command line, so it
prompts me for a file.  If I try and type in .jedrc (to the
minibuffer) at this point, it tells me that "/u" and "/u/.jedrc" are
the same.

However, if I copy .jedrc to "/tmp" (Cygwin path, maps to
C:/Cygwin/tmp") or /c/tmp (maps to C:/tmp), it works just fine.

Other drive letters exhibit the same problems as the U drive does.

I've tried playing games with Cygwin mounting, such as pointing HOME
at /home/<username> and then mounting the U: drive there, but that
doesn't seem to change anything.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone's seen this before and can give me some
pointers.  Maybe there is a debugging flag I can turn on somewhere
that can start telling me more what's going on?

Thanks,
Pete