Re: Searching in jed-B0.99-17.165 (UTF-8)

Jens Wilhelm Wulf <jens_w2@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>Do you mean isearch or the xjed input problem? Or both? How many
>days/weeks/months do you mean by 'soon'?

  By soon, I mean that I will check-in a correction later this evening
  when I get a chance to look at the problem.  See
  <http://www.jedsoft.org/jed/svn.html> for information about
  obtaining the latest snapshot of the development version.

>Furthermore, I am surprised about the isearch/search_forward difference. Do
>I have to expect lots of other functions not working because they are
>'rarely used'?

  I would hope not, but yes there may still be little problems here
  and there.  The most notable problem is that the regular expressions
  do not fully support UTF-8.  For example, "." is supposed to match a
  single character, but because of the lack of UTF-8 support by the
  regular expressions, "." will match a byte.  More many things this
  distinction will not matter.

>BTW: what's the advantage of using search_forward instead of isearch?
>isearch instantly gives feedback while typing...

  If that instant feedback is useful to you then it is an advantage.
  Personally, for me it is an annoyance.  For that reason, I never use
  the isearch_* functions and just stick to search_forward/backward.