strange xterm behavior when quitting jed

Dear all

I run jed 0.99.17-135 (slang 2.0.5) in an xterm under
Linux. I have noticed that about once a day - it
doesn't always happen and I couldn't find a way to
consitently reproduce it - when I exit jed the xterm
window in which I had it running behaves strangely:
eg, the cursor is placed a few lines above from the
place where it should be. If I typed, the commands
will show somewhere up there but are still processed
correctly by bash.

Does anyone know why this happens? I understand that
this might not even be jed-specific, but other than
the shell itself, jed is almost the only console
program I run, so I never noticed this with any other
app. Might it be somehow related to the use of
non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters inside the editor?
(The way it is configured the shell is also able to
handle those fine, eg in filenames.) TERM is set to
xterm-color, so I guess that's not the problem...

Thank you for any help

Juergen