Re: Preferred way to change mouse bindings

On  2.02.06, Don McAllaster wrote:
> I want to add a few bindings to mouse buttons with added shift and
> control. I think I know how to do this -- modify the mouse_down_hook
> appropriately -- but I'm wondering about the preferred way to do this.
>
> Should I:
> - copy mouse.sl and hack it up
> - copy the mouse_down_hook somewhere and hack that
> - or something else.
>
> It is quite a small change that I want to make, so I wonder if there is
> a simpler way of accomplishing what I want to do. I'm using Jed
> 0.99.16.

1. Generally, hooks are special functions for configuration, so

   > - copy the mouse_down_hook somewhere and hack that

   seems to be the standard way. If you either redefine mouse_down_hook() in
   your jed.rc or in an extra file that you call from jed.rc, it will
   overwrite the default version.

2. A lot of configuration is done using "custom variables" (but AFAIK, not
   in mouse.sl.

3. You can try jedmodes.sf.net/mode/cuamouse/ for a different mouse
   interface that has

    * a more "standard like" mouse behaviour
    * some additional features
    * a more fine-grained hook system (so your change doesnot need so
      much repetition of code)

   cuamouse.sl is, however quite old code - it is one of my earliest
   attempts to program in SLang (so do not take it as an example for good
   programming) but it just runs on my system, so I did not bother to
   change a lot.

Milde ife.et.tu-dresden.de