Ispell possibly broken in latest Debian/Ubuntu?

Good morning, folks...

I have made a terrible mistake, and any fault associated with it is
probably all my own. Having said that disclaimer, I am having extreme
trouble getting ispell/flyspell working again, after recently upgrading to
Ubuntu. I know, I know, anything for more eye candy and newer features.

I *believe* I have done everything in my power to make this happen, as I
have become spoiled to Jed and flyspell for all my editing needs for
several years. I have downloaded the latest flyspell and ispell files from
the repository, installed the default jed, jed-common and jed-extra from
Debian, and so long as I don't turn on flyspell, everything seems to be
okay. I cannot update my ispell personal dictionary, in fact, the i:
insert option isn't even offered on the Jed bottom line anymore.

Here are the significant parts of my .jedrc file:

% require ("apsmode");
%require ("ispell_init");
require ("keydefs");

%define text_mode_hook()
% {
%   flyspell_mode;
% }
unsetkey("^J");
setkey("center_line","^J");

setkey("beg_of_line","\e[H");
setkey("eol","\e[F");

%setkey("beg_of_line","\e[H");
%setkey("eol","\e[F");
%setkey("beg_of_line","key_home");
%setkey("eol","key_end");

As you can see I have commented out the portions that automatically load
ispell_init and flyspell_mode, because they appear to be broken. I believe
the problem, which shows itself as a total loss of screen and color
control, possibly is in ispell_init, but I could be wrong.

Any hints? Anyone seeing troubles with ispell_init?

Dave
--
Dave Laird (Dave@xxxxxxxxxx)
The Used Kharma Lot / The Phoenix Project

An automatic & random thought For the Minute:
The worst thing about some men is that when they are not drunk they are sober.
		-- William Butler Yeats