Minibuffer background / positioning

Hi,
the only thing about I never felt 100% confortable is the minibuffer position. I would really like to have just as my window, all buffer but the last line, as a status line. The minibuffer (is that its name? I mean that place where messages/errors appear) would appear just when needed or at least be on top of the status line. I realize that this must imply some heavy changes in jed's code, so I would like to know if I could just make the minibuffer have a completely colored background. AFAIK, the background is taken from the background color of the "normal" section (having that set to "default" color, and the status line with background "white", makes it look like the status line is one line above from where it should be).
Is there a way to make status line and minibuffer swap places?
Is there a way to make the minibuffer have a completely colored background (by completely I mean, not just the background of the text displayed, but the whole line).

Thank you