Jed font problems?

I'm running jed on Solaris 10 x86 and have a problem with the font
display.  This behaves the same with jed-0.99.16 and jed=B0.99.17-111.

Xjed seems to behave well (right font, etc.).

Jed opens in an xterm or rxvt with a different font than was there
originally and is very hard to read.  When I exit jed it keeps the font
used in the status bar display (which is even harder to read) in the
terminal window.  Most displays the output in the right font, but it too
leaves the font in the status bar when it exits.

How does jed choose the font for display and how can I get it to restore
the font to it's original state after exit?

I've seen a similar problem over the years with Solaris 8, 9, and 10 on
Sparc with rxvt, but I don' remember it being so pronounced a
difference. BTW, "xemacs -nw" seems to behave as expected.

Any pointers would be appreciated.  I'd hate to stop using Jed after
being a loyal user since 1990 (probably even earlier).

Thanks,
Gary