organizing extension modes

Dear jed users,

The home-lib mode (http://jedmodes.sf.net/mode/home-lib/) tries to
facilitate the organisation of jed SLang files (modes) in several
directories and the installation of additional or alternative modes.

If I see it right, there are up to 4 categories of modes:

  1: Standard modes provided by John E D
  2: modes provided by the distribution (e.g. Debian GNU/Linux)
  3: site-wide extensions by the local administrator
  4: user extensions

which should be searched in order 4,..., 1.

Category 1 is in JED_ROOT/lib and we do not need to worry about,
directories for categories 2, 3, 4 should be added to the
jed-library-path if they exist.

Before the advent of the jed-extra Debian package, there was only need for
2 Variables in home-lib.sl:

  Jed_Site_Library   for categories 2 and 3
  Jed_Home_Library   for category 4

My suggestion would be to expand the set to 3 Variables

  Jed_Site_Library   for category 2 (default "JED_ROOT/site-lib")
  Jed_Local_Library  for category 3 (default "/usr/local/share/jed/lib")
  Jed_Home_Library   for category 4 (default "~/.jed/lib")

All library directories will be tested for presence, if not present, the
variable becomes "".

Before implementing this I would ask for suggestions, especially
regarding the naming of the variables and the set of locations to try

(e.g. Jed_Local_Library: try ["/usr/local/share/jed/lib",
                              "/usr/local/jed/lib",
                              "/usr/local/lib/jed"]

I suppose on Windows, the defaults should be somewhat different, and
maybe Jed_Local_Library (or Jed_Site_Library) will not be needed. (Window
users, please advise)

Sincerely

Guenter

--