WJed key bindings and utf-8

Hi,

While working on a UTF-8 enabled version of WJed (more on that on a separate
mail soon, I hope), a strange thing happened: cursor keys UP and DOWN
doesn't work on minibuffer!

To try it I'm setting JED_UTF8 environment variable.

After a bit of debugging, I found that the bindings:

   definekey ("next_mini_command", "\xE0P", mini);
   definekey ("prev_mini_command", "\xE0H", mini);

on mini.sl, got the char '\xE0' converted to utf8 sequence. Changing those
to:

   definekey ("next_mini_command", "\xE0P"B, mini);
   definekey ("prev_mini_command", "\xE0H"B, mini);

Works, but this works only on SLang 2 (if I remember correctly).

So the question is: what is the correct way to handle this? should I encode
strings recieved from keyboard as utf 8? Or should I use binary strings as
above?

Thanks,
							Dino

PS: BTW, how difficult will be supporting files in UTF-16? Those are common
on Windoze. I haven't tried it myself, I'm just wondering it this can be
done...