Jed in UTF-8

First  off, let me say that I am _more_ than thrilled that jed is adopt-
ing serious UTF-8 support; as a person who  uses  three  character  sets
which  generally  cannot  exist  in  any other way (Latin, Cyrillic, and
Japanese), I look forward to putting the days of changing  terminals  to
change character sets beind me.  ;-)

That  said,  I'm  having  a little trouble.  I have no problem _viewing_
UTF-8 in jed -- UTF-8-demo.txt is beautiful.  I  particularly  like  the
equations.  ;-)  However, I cannot successfully _input_ UTF-8.  If I run
jed in a utf-8 capable terminal, with a utf-8 locale (I have tried  set-
ting  any  and  all of LC_CTYPE, LANG, and LC_ALL to both en_US.utf8 and
ja_JP.utf8), when I enter non-latin text it is displayed in jed  as  the
constituent  Unicode  characters  expressed  in ISO-Latin-1 -- I realize
this is somewhat hard to picture, so I've attached a  screenshot  demon-
strating the problem.  (Note that some of the contituent unicode charac-
ters are interpreted as control characters, and thus don't show up "cor-
rectly" even in this fashion)

This  jed is linked against slang-pre2-r2, and it is jed-0.99.17.56.  It
is running correctly in Unicode mode (as can be seen in the screenshot),
at least as best I can tell.

The  attached  screen shot contains the two lines "Eto russkiy yazik" in
Cyrillic and "nihongo desu" in Japanese (kanji and kana), correctly dis-
played  as entered in vim; following that is a blank line and the result
of typing 'russkiy' (the same as in the first line) in jed.  The  latter
part of the word is what the UTF-8 word 'russkiy' looks like when dumped
to an ISO-8859-1 terminal.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.