Re: When a new version of JED will be released?

Hello John

I am preparing a version of JED that works with FLTK (fljed).
Currently it is based on SLang 1.4.9 and Jed 0.99.16.

I managed to make Jed work as a text-only FL terminal (including
text menus, but no mouse).
Currently I am playing with various FLTK widgets. I intend to
make a set of slang functions that will work with FLTK.
I haven't started implementing native menus yet.

The work is far from finished. I plan to create a demo release
by the end of this year.

I would very much like to base my work on the slang 2 library
and a newer version of jed.

I only have windows at home so I do not have the sources for
slang 2. Where can I find them?

When I look at the jed's sl files, I find many IFDEFS that
deal with system-dependent keycodes. In fljed I created a
function xkey() that takes a human-readable string
("C-x", "C-A-Enter", "C-k Up", ...) and converts it into
a system keycode.
I also managed to do the reverse (with a patch in SLang):

  char *SLang_make_keystring(unsigned char *s)
  {
     if (X_Make_Keystring) return X_Make_Keystring(s);

Now at least in menus the keys have human-readable names.
(I tried to create xkey as X_Process_Keystring, but it
 didn't work well).

It is possible to do the same for other systems, too. I already
have some code that will cover DOS and windows.

Another feature in fljed: it recognises keys with multiple
modifiers (Ctrl-Shift-Arrow, Ctrl-Alt-Shift-Meta-X, etc.)

I also noticed that jed has a flag VISIBLE_COLUMN_MARK. If
this means jed will have block regions, I am very much looking
forward to it. I also propose to add a VISIBLE_LINE_MARK flag.
(I might add this to mark_window_attributes myself).

Would it be possible for the scrap to 'know' with what kind
of region it was created (the way that brief does)?

As you see I have many ideas and I might also have some spare
time to implement them. I hope you won't mind a question now
and then.

Regards,
Marko Mahnic

John E. Davis wrote:
This weekend I am going to release the second development snapshot of
slang 2 and I want to release a version of jed that will compile
against that.

What platform are you using?  I may make a windows binary available.