Unicode?

Err... I'm trying to move to Unicode with Gentoo Linux. So far
everything has gone pretty well, except for one thing: how do I make
jed work ok with utf-8?

Right now it displays umlauts with or as spaces (sometimes is prints the
umlaut and space after that (deleting with backspace feel silly also
since cursor is in the wrong place), sometimes just spaces).

Slang2 supports unicode, I guess, although it's pretty beta and I
wouldn't want to mess portage by installing it manually, so...