How do I get text from the buffer? SLang?

Greetings,

I am writing a simple function for Jed and want to get the text of a
buffer. Not the entire text, just a substring. How can I retrieve the
text of a portion of the buffer?

I have found where I want to start and end, I have those stored in
two variables, but I do not know how to then retrieve the text between
those two columns.

Thanks for any input.

Jeremy Cowgar