Enabling DFA syntax in pymode?

Hi all. I just started using jed, and think it is truly nice--emacs
without all of the weight that emacs has accumulated over the
years. However, I'm experiencing a bit of difficulty with
pymode. It is not using the DFA syntax rules, only, the
'old' style rules. This is the standard pymode.sl file included in
a 0.99.16 distribtion that someone precompiled for OS X.  From
what I've been able to glean by looking at docs, it's possible
that DFA parsing isn't enabled, but I don't know how to check
if that's true, nor do I know how to turn it on. I'd rather not learn
slang (well, not right now at least), so if someone could offer
a few tips, it'd be much appreciated.

I don't suppose there's any way to extend/enhance jed using
Python rather than slang?

Thanks,
Ken McDonald