Re: suppress "lines read" message

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:15:23AM +0200, Paul Boekholt wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 05:30:29PM -0400, Brian Blais wrote:
> > Is there a way to suppress the "lines read" message that find_file()
> > outputs to the screen?  In a jed script calling find_file many times,
> > this message is a  bit distracting.
>

> ()=find_file(file); clear_message();
>

> Maybe you should use read_file() instead.

I think I may have been unclear.  Let me be a bit more specific, and maybe
that will help.  If I make a script called ff.sl, containing:

#!/usr/local/bin/jed -script

find_file("ff.sl");

if (fsearch("chickens")) {
  printf("I found the string 'chickens'\n");
}

%-----------------------------------------------

then I run it like:

/home/bblais-> ./ff.sl
9 lines read
I found the string 'chickens'

I get the same when I replace find_file with read_file, or with
()=find_file("ff.sl");

I can get around it, with a hack like this ff2.sl script:

#!/usr/local/bin/jed -script

define find_file2(fname) {
  sw2buf("blah");
  insert_file(fname);
  bob();
}

()=find_file2("ff2.sl");

if (fsearch("chickens")) {
  printf("I found the string 'chickens'\n");
}

/home/bblais/-> ./ff2.sl
I found the string 'chickens'

If you are opening a lot of files, especially large ones, then this is slower
than find_file.  Is there a way to override the "X lines read" output when
using find_file or read_file?

                   thanks,

                          	Brian Blais