ispell problems

jed version: 0.99.16/Unix
 Compiled with GNU C 3.3
 S-Lang version: 1.4.9
 *** Compiled against S-Lang 10408 but linked to 10409

jed compile-time options:
 +LINE_ATTRIBUTES +BUFFER_LOCAL_VARS +SAVE_NARROW +TTY_MENUS
 +EMACS_LOCKING +MULTICLICK +SUBPROCESSES +DFA_SYNTAX +ABBREVS
 +COLOR_COLUMNS +LINE_MARKS -GPM_MOUSE

Using JED_ROOT=/usr/share/jed

Mutt 1.5.6i (2004-02-01)

I am using jed with mutt and cannot spell-check an entire message.  I
get the error:
  S-Lang Error: Undefined Name: ispell_region: Function did not autoload

I have no problems spell-checking single words (^[$), only full message
text (^Zi).

Please bear in mind that I have no programming knowledge past some very
basic scripting and lotus ver 1a spreadsheet workings.
HOG # US1244711