Re: global keybindings and startup file order

Brian Blais wrote:

> ah ha!  that solves the problem.  I hadn't put the emulation
> (evalfile("emacs")) in my jedrc, so it was loading it afterward.  This blew
> away the keybinding I had done.

I remember a lot of headaches when this behaviour was introduced.

For me, the idea of emacs.sl (or what else the value of
_Jed_Default_Emulation is) *overwriting* my keybindings, if I have not
set _Jed_Emulation in my .jedrc (directly or by loading one of the
standard emulation modes) is, at least, surprising.

The two variables _Jed_Default_Emulation _Jed_Emulation are unfortunately
undocumented. So it took me several day to find out, that my homebrew
keybindings file needs a line
  _Jed_Emulation = "gm";
in order to signal jed that it is an "emulation" and shall not be
overwritten by emacs-Bindings!

IMHO, the same effect (having a site-wide default emulation for all users
can be achieved more easily and transparent by

   () = evalfile("emacs");           % Emacs-like bindings

in JED_ROOT/lib/jed.rc which is the fallback in case no custom
.jedrc|jed.rc file exists.

Site administrators can change this file or provide an own version as
Default_Jedrc_Startup_File.

In the event of a user creating an own jed.rc|.jedrc file without a call
to an emulation, I suspect the missing emulation will be easier to
recognize and correct than the "mysterious" overwriting of carefully
handcrafted keybindings, as existing documentation advises the user to
copy and modify JED_ROOT/jed.rc (which contains a ready-made "choose your
emulation" section).

G.Milde at web.de