global keybindings and startup file order

Hello,

I have two, somewhat related, questions about jed.  First, what is the order
of the files which are read by jed upon startup?  It certainly runs site.sl,
which calls the user-defined .jedrc and then sets the keyboard emulation, but
is there something else after?  Is there something before site.sl?

Second, which is what prompted this question, how do you set a keybinding
globally, across all modes and buffers?  I thought it was setkey, like:

setkey("edit_journal","^Xj");  % i've defined a function edit_journal in .jedrc

or with the global_mode_hook, like:

define global_mode_hook (hook_name)
{
   local_setkey("edit_journal","^Xj");
}

The problem I have is, even defining things in this way, in the .jedrc, if I
run jed with no arguments (and I've turned off the ask for file), the binding
doesn't work until I actually load a file.  I figured that my .jedrc is either
not being executed until I open a file, or something is being executed on
startup which overrides my .jedrc.  Perhaps I am doing something wrong
altogether.

Any ideas?

thanks,

       	Brian Blais