Re: dircat vs. path_concat

Klaus Schmid <klaus.schmid@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  Also it is important to note that on Unix,
>> "a/b/.." _may_ not be equivalent to "a".
>
>Hmm. I think I know nothing about this.
>Could you give me a hint?

   Try this:

       mkdir /tmp/dir1
       mkdir -p /tmp/dir3/dir4
       cd /tmp/dir1
       ln -s /tmp/dir3/dir4 dir2
       ls /tmp/dir1
       ls /tmp/dir1/dir2/..

>Never used or heard about the search list before.
>Now I found it in a comprehensive documentation on hp-OpenVMS:
>http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/72final/6489/6489pro.html

   Do you have access to a VMS system where you can test jed?  By
this, I do not mean log in, run a few tests, and then log out.  Rather
I mean _use_ the system for an extended period of time.

   Also, is the goal of all this to replace dircat with path_concat?
Or, is the goal to get a working path_concat on VMS, not necessarily
for the sake of jed since dircat already works?  If it is for the sake
of path_concat, which I hope it is, then we should probably take this
discussion offline, or perhaps to a different forum, e.g., the slang
developers list.