Re: pop_spot(0)

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 01:53:18PM -0400, John E. Davis wrote:

[snip]

> You have to define the region using "push_mark".  Then call
> "narrow_to_region".  Once you are done, call "widen_region".

Here is a related question that I've wondered about.

Suppose that I want to perform *two* operations on the *same*
region or perform the same operation twice.  For example, in Python
mode, suppose I want to shift a region right, twice. Or, suppose I
want to copy a region to the copy paste buffer, then pipe the same
region through a UNIX command.

What I'd expect to be able to do is the following steps:

  1. Set mark
  2. Move cursor
  3. Perform first operation, e.g. shift right
  4. Exchange point and mark
  5. Perform second operation on same region, e.g. shift right
      again

But, I find (I think) that the previous spot is lost when I perform
the first operation.  Neither exchange() nor
exchange_point_and_mark() do anything.  Am I right about this?  Is
there a work-around or a fix so that I can perform multiple
operations on the same region without marking it again?

By the way, I think I learned this exchange_point_and_mark method
from using emacs.  I've been so happy with Jed, since I found it a
few months back, that I have had no temptation to go back to emacs.
But, a few old habits remain.

  - Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman