Re: Jed and utf-8... a pre-pre-pre-plea :-)

Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>So, if the original files included a sequence of bytes that did not
>correctly represent characters, then those bytes should be converted into
>a value in the Private Use Area.  A simple algorthm for this would be
>(lowest-possible-PUA-value + byte value).  That value is then handled as a
>regular unicode character.

The unicode support in S-Lang allows for invalid sequences.  Each byte
in the sequence displays as <XX> where XX is the hex value of the
byte.  Those bytes will be written back to disk as-is.  In light of
this, is there anything to gain by encoding such byte sequences as
as a (much longer) sequence of encoded PUA+bytevalue wide characters?

As far as PUA values goes, I was thinking about using such private
characters as a sort of combining characters to allow an individual
character to have a color attribute, or perhaps to indicate the
start/end of a color sequence.