Re: l4j: new latex_view() with xdvi -sourceposition

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Joerg Sommer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've took a look at latex_view() and I couldn't understand why it is so
> bloated. So I rewrote it.
>
> And...
> * I don't found a reason to open a buffer for the viewing command. All
>   output is send to /dev/null, so what should be occure in this buffer?

that's right.

> * I don't find where run_shell_cmd is coming from. In shell.sl are only a
>   version for DOS and VMS. And I don't know what it does more then
>   system(), so I replaced the call with system().

try under Windows and see what happens...

>   Is there a & in the DOS-call needed or how create a background process
>   in DOS?

you have to use run_shell_cmd, else Jed will lock until the viewer is
closed.

> * I added the option -sourceposition to xdvi. So if you view a dvi file,
>   xdvi highlights the position where your cursor stands in the .latex
>   file.

excellent!

>   Therefore latex must be called with --src. I coded this hard. So this
>   must be removed in the future.

it may go in the user-definable variables. I'll have a look at it.

Many thanks,
     Guido =8-)

--
Guido Gonzato, Ph.D. <guido . gonzato at univr . it> - Linux System Manager
Universita' di Verona (Italy), Facolta' di Scienze MM. FF. NN.