No frames or Umlaute with jed :(

[If this is a dupe, please excuse.  I just won the fight with the
Majordomo and am not sure whether my last try went thru.]
Hello,
I have a strange problem.  I used to run jed on my SuSE 7.1 laptop on the
linux console, and things were fine.  Now I am back home and recompiled
the RPMs on my SuSE 7.3 box and now jed is missing the menu frames and all
8bit-characters like German Umlaute on the console.  In an xterm the menu
frames are there, but still no Umlaute.  7.1 has Slang 1.4.2 while 7.3 has
1.4.4.  Umlaute work fine on the console otherwise.
Has anybody else experienced problems like this?  I can type Umlaute, I
just don't see them in jed.  Xjed does fine, but I am console guy...
Jed version is 0.99.16
Jochen
--
Sometimes I think the surest sign, that intelligent life exists else
where in our universe is, that none of it has tried to contact us.