How to turn ALT->Esc-mapping off?

Hello!

How can I turn off the ALT-key to Escape-key mapping off?
For example, with ALT-O I want to access the "Mode" menu and don't want to
delete the last word.  I found to put
ALT_CHAR = 0;
in my .jedrc but my jed (Linux console) complains that

-------- Jed 0.99.15 : *scratch*   ()   (1/1,1)
Error: Undefined Name: ALT_CHAR is undefined

It's probably very easy, but my searches only revealed the other
direction.

Thanks, Jochen
--
Think of your family tonight.  Try to crawl home after the computer
crashes.