Re: Jed Development

Josh Guilfoyle <jasta@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> and if I remember correctly, sometime about that time I was trying to
>> get the original author (who is also the author of "putty") of the DFA
>> syntax highlighting code to add support for multiline structures.
>
>What happened with that?  If it has fallen to the floor, I would like to
>revive it, but I have to warn you that I would likely rip out a lot more of
>the hardcoded logic.  To me, it is not warranted :)

As I recall, we agreed that the best thing would be for the DFA
routines to save its parse context in the Line structure.  Then when
the next line is passed for highlighting, it could take up where it
left off.  Unfortunately, it was left at that.

One of the things that I have to add to jed is support for UTF-8
encoding.  When I do that, I will have to rewrite a fair amount of the
underlying code that tracks the current position (point).  It is my
intention at that time to introduce another character buffer that
would provide attribute information on a character by character basis.
That way, any character in the buffer could be assigned a color, font,
etc.  But I do not intend to add that until I add the support for
UTF-8.

About PCRE, one of my goals for slang v2 is to provide access to the
PCRE library.  Then it should be fairly trivial to use the more
powerful PCRE regular expressions to set attributes on a character by
character basis once support for the attribute buffer has been added.

Right now, at the top of my jed development list is to unify the menu
system so that, e.g., wjed can get the benefit of the more powerful
tty menus but using the native windows menu system.  Also as part of
this, I am looking into adopting GTK for Xjed to give it menus, scroll
bars, etc.  Its possible that you may see some of this in the next jed
release via a GTK-slang interface (SLGTK).