Re: Re: Jed Development

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:48:08 -0800 wrote Josh Guilfoyle <jasta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > JED has one slot for multiline comments and two slots for single line
> > comments.
> > [snip]
> Ideally, this should be unlimited, no?  I will look into a permanent and
> flexible solution.

Wouln't a multiline DFA highlighting be such a solution?

> > > This is part of the problem: this kind of stuff needs to be
> > > in a centralized
> > > distribution so that you don't have to go hunting all over
> > > the internet for
> > > the basic functionality you want.
> >
> > Francesc Rocher created a project on sourceforge to keep jed extensions.
> > Everyone can contribute, see http://jedmodes.sf.net/

Thinking about it, I realize that the JMR should work for patches to the C
sources too (why not - the only obstacle would be the non-fitting of the
name "MODES Repository")

> That said, I now know of a way to work around this limitation in libpcre and I
> think it could actually be used as the DFA implementation, providing
> INFINITELY more flexibility
> All regular expression systems are "based" on DFA, so it would be beneficial
> to just rip this from a freely available library.  Not to mention defining
> your own syntax is just a silly idea.

Did you think about the multiplatformness of jed? libpcre must be available
on DOS, Windos, Mac, VMS and all kind of Unix-flavours in order to have a
chance to get it into the main jed. (This is also, why slang has its own (and
limited) regexp definitions.

Hoewever, my dream would be to make the JMR  the central
place for modes and patches - maybe one could even offer a jmr-enhanced jed
package...

Milde at ife.et.tu-dresden.de