Re: jed CUA mode

> Furthermore, xjed has a far better way of mouse-handling,
> that can be made more cua-ish by my cuamouse.sl mode
> (still unpublished, available on request)

Probably similar to wjed's mouse-handling, which I also
agree is much more preferable to standard CUA's.

> How about joining efforts to make a cua emulation mode
> that is worth the name?

Yeah, I think it's a good goal. I can see large numbers
of beginners to Linux/Unix or even long time users like
me who don't want to learn or don't like the rather
unintuitive keybindings of Emacs or vim but still wish to
use a text mode editor will find jed/CUA to be the answer
to their wishes. Under X-Window I use SciTE, but since
it doesn't yet have a macro language, there might be
times I'll end up using jed as well.

I just got started out with jed a few days ago and came
across it because I needed to learn the Slang API to use
in lieu of curses(*). Found jed and Slang to be quite nifty
after all after ignoring it all these years.

(*)I'm trying to build a text mode widget library in Python.
I have a working curses version but its internal
architecture is really messy because curses is not a very
clean API. Slang looks a lot cleaner so I want to redo it
using SLsmg.

I'm probably gonna have to learn quite a bit of Slang first
before I can make decent contributions though.

> The original author of cua.sl does no longer maintain it
> and agreed for me to take over. Due to missing popular
> request I did not yet publish my version at the jed modes
> repository ( http://jedmodes.sf.net/devel ) but some day I
> will.

It's already a big improvement over the original cua.sl
now. You may want to consider publishing it.

> Besides the update cua.sl, I have a cuamark.sl (which does the same as
> wmark.sl but in a (IMHO more elegant and) simpler implementation +
> providing a "clipboard history" and the cua-ish, extensible mouse
> driver cuamouse.sl.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

> I'll also attach the skript for starting jed in konsole with
> in order to work.

I made a similar script based on your suggestion and called it j (in
the Slackware tradition of using the aliases d and v for directory
listings ;). I had it do a loadkeys -d upon exit to restore the
Shift-PgUp/PgDn functionality.

#!/bin/sh
loadkeys ~/cuaready.map # this is the file you sent me
/usr/bin/jed $*
loadkeys -d

The most transparent approach would be if it could save the
keymap currently in use and then restore it. Is that possible?

Not sure if we should be too concerned about SUID as it's
just a simple script... should we?