Re: jed CUA mode under Linux

(The reply address truned up rather oddly, I replaced it with the usual
one).

On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Andy Sy wrote:

> jed CUA mode works fine under Windows,
> but very poorly under Linux because for
> some reason slang will not read a lot
> of the required key combinations properly.
> The Ctrl-LEFT,Ctrl-RIGHT,Ctrl-PgUP, etc...
> keystrokes all get translated to plain,
> no modifer strokes.

How are you accessing the linux box?

Jed is almost certainly seeing the keystrokes that the keyboard interface
is providing.  I think the question is how to get the keyboard interface
to handle the combinations and make them available.

E.g. When I access linux via putty telnet from a window's PC then a
variety of key combinations such as you describe work for me with another
editor, whereas when I access the same app on the same linux server but
from the server's own console then combinations such as the above are not
seen by the app.

In the past, while sitting at the console of the same linux server but
running xwindows and xterm to access the command line version of jed, I
have had to edit one of the xwindow resource files to get the xterm to map
all the keystrokes I wanted to use into things that jed would see within
xterm.  I lost my example resource file, so I don't bother doing this
anymore, I just telnet in via putty instead.

I do not know yet how to do this sort of mapping for the linux console
itself (though it must be possible because otherwise how does
xwindows get to handle the key combinations).

So, the above is not much help, but explains where I think the problem
really lies.

Once I figure out how to do the configuration of the keymappings, then I
simply use "od" to confirm exactly what sequence of bytes are actually
being sent to the app when I type the various key strokes I need to setup.

Run od, type the keystroke(s), a new line, and ^D, and od will dump the
bytes it received.  If they are not the ones you want then either change
the keyboard mapping to send the bytes that you know jed is will
recognize, or change the jed mappings to it uses the bytes being sent.