question on colour objects

I have a question regarding how to use custom colour objects. I would like
to write some Slang code (to be run in Jed) that acts a la ncurses. In
short, I'd like to draw an ASCII piano keyboard. To do so, I need to set
white and black 'rectangles' (characters) with which to draw black and
white keys. Something like,

*  *  **  *  *  ***
*  *  **  *  *  ***
*  *  **  *  *  ***
*  *  **  *  *  ***
*  *  **  *  *  ***
*******************
*******************
*******************

get the picture? Obviously, I would like to use a full white character to
draw white keys, and a full black character to draw black keys.

I suppose I shoud create a colour object and associate a special character
to it, so that inserting (say) '#' I get a white-on-white character, and
inserting say '@' I get a black-on-black character.

The question is: how do I do that? If anyone has ideas...

Thanks,
       Guido =8-)

--
Guido Gonzato, Ph*D* <guido * gonzato at univr * it> - Linux System Manager
Universita' di Verona (Italy), Facolta' di Scienze MM* FF* NN*