Re: how to combine two modes

On Thu, 23 May 2002 09:48:22 +0200 wrote Joachim Schmitz <js@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
>
> I want to use the html-mode and the xml-mode together for editing xhtml.
> What is the easiest way to use both modes ?

Write a new one, based on the two?

Unfortunately, Slang is not object oriented, hence you cannot inherit
easily. There are, however, some functions that make it possible to have the
new mode using some goodis defined elsewhere:

  require        will load a mode-file (if this is not already done)
                 so you can use all of its (non-privat) functions
  autoload              declares a function to the interpreter and tells it where
                   to find the definition.

                 Tip: Use autoload if you need just one (or some)
                 function(s) as the defining file will only be loaded at
                 request (saving startup time). If you need additional
                 definitions and settings, use require.

  copy_keymap    will create a new keymap that is the copy of another one
                 modify this to your needs
  add_keyword
  add_keyword_n
  add_keywords   These allow the extension of the set of words to highlight
                 (if using the traditional (non DFA) highlighting scheme)
                   They are not defined by default, so you need autoload
                 statements as e.g.
                          autoload("add_keyword", "syntax");

G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx