Re: Re: jed limits

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 03:18:11 -0500 wrote "John E. Davis" <davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Guenter Milde <G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  How many keymaps can be defined?  (I got problems above ca. 50)
> >  Is there a way to delete a keymap that is no longer used?
>
> The limit to the number of keymaps in set by the slang library in
> slang.h.  Currently that limit is 30.  Why do you need so many
> keymaps?  Usually every mode creates its own keymap.  Do you really
> use more than 30 modes in a single editing session?

Thanks for your fast reply. I will not use 30 modes, but maybe 25 keymaps:

I think about using keymaps for the "feature modes" ("minor modes)" with a
new push_keymap/pop_keymap feature. (Somewhat similar to your pushmode, but
the keymaps are copies of the actual keymap that can be modified by the
calling feature mode).

This way one can replace the get_key-switch-action loop in
some of the minor modes (isearch, wmark) which conflicts with some other
features (menues, One-hit Escape, ...) with a more elegant solution.

Given the orthogonality of the modes, the keymaps are orthogonal as well, e.g.

        global    global_mark      global_search     global_ishell  ...
        slang          slang_mark       slang_search      slang_ishell   ...
        python          python_mark      python_search     python_ishell  ...

This way, with 8 modes and 4 features, I can quite easily reach the limit
(also, if e.g. search might be mode-independent)
:-(

GM

--
G.Milde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx