towards 1.0

Once we are about making jed the best editor on the net, I'd like to pass on
the reply I got when promoting jed:

------ Forwarded message ------
From: "Dr. David Mertz" <mertz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 13:14:31 -0500
Subject: Re: Reviews of Software Products: JED missing?
To: Guenter Milde

Hi Guenter,

|I'd like to advocate the jed programmers editor.

Actually, I use jed extremely often nowadays.  When I open a shell
session to a remote Linux machine, jed is the best editor I've found for
the console.  Nedit, for example, obviously does not work there.  Vim
does, but it is too cryptic for me.

Even though I use it a lot, I did not even know jed did quite everything
you listed in your note.  One thing I really *do not* like about jed is
that it doesn't expose all its functionality through the menus (nor even
most of it).  Keyboard shortcuts are all good and well, but for
functions I use only once in a while, it is a lot easier to look through
some visible menus.

For example, I know jed does folding (I specifically configured it to
compile in that option).  But I have no idea what the keystrokes are to
do that, so in practice I treat it like it does not have that feature.
I've looked up the keystrokes before, but I don't use jed quite often
enough (nor that feature specifically) to remember what the keystrokes
are.  With, say FTE, the folding is right on a top menu called "Fold",
with reminders about the shortcuts listed next to each item.  I have not
used FTE in a few months, but I would have no trouble at all opening it
up and folding a section of code immediately.  Not so with jed.

[snip]

Yours, David...

-------- End of message -------

--